Monday, April 14, 2008

Advice Needed

Lately, I have been thinking about finishing my college education. My current profession doesn't require that I have a bachelor’s degree and I feel like I have been doing just fine without it. I know that nothing but good can come from getting it finished up and having a degree in my hand. I already have my associate’s degree in business.

My question isn't whether or not I should do it; it is how I should go about it. The way I look at it, there are three options. I could go to a traditional college or university. The downside of that would be that it would take a lot of time, and a lot of travel. This is probably the least attractive of the options to me, because I am a full time provider for my family, and I don't feel this option gives me the flexibility that I would need.

The second option would be to go to a school like the University of Phoenix. They cater to working people, and most of their classes are at night, or online. The main downside to this option is that it costs a lot of money, and will take me away nights. It also has a lot of required group work, from what I understand.

The third option is to go through an online university. A school that I am looking at is Western Governors’ University. It is an accredited school that offers all of the classes 100% online. They will accept my associate’s degree as transfer credits. It is a competency based program, which means that if you are able to show that you are already competent in certain areas, that you will not be required to do the busy work that other places still require. There is a flat rate for every six month semester and you can complete as many classes in those six months as you are able to do. I love the flexibility of this option, and the ability to finish more quickly than the other two options. My main concern with this option is that the school doesn't have any name recognition. I'm not sure if going this route might not be very effective, should I find myself looking for a job in the future.

Do you guys have any suggestions, or ideas that I may be looking over? I am fairly certain that I will be completing my education; I am just trying to make the best decision, while considering as many factors as I can. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

4 comments:

ls said...

I think it would depend on what your long term plan and goals are. Are you planning to stay with the company you are working for right now for a long time? If you are then you are probably fine to go with the more flexible schooling option--if you aren't looking for a new job it won't matter if the school you graduated from has the name recognition or not. But if you think you may want to persue some different career/company changes than maybe it would be worth it to stick it out at a more reputable school so you'll have more punch to your resume. I'm sure you'll be fine either way, though, so go with whatever you and Lis think will work best for your family.

Harries Family said...

Toph...A bachelors is definately a good idea. I am taking online classes through BYU right now and they are so nice and convenient. You have a year to finish the classes but I have finished my classes in usually less than 2 months and that is with working 50 hrs a week. Maybe you could go to the UofU or BYU by taking online classes and night classes that is if you want a more reputable university. Just my opinion of course. We miss ya'll!!!

Frazier Family said...

Man...I don't know Toph. That's tough. I'm getting ready to do all online too, but that's through BYU. I don't know if that will look any different. It's hard because you do have to support your family. I don't. I'll think on it though. Love you!

Teacher Mama said...

I'm proud of you for working on this. I know it is hard to support our family and finish school. I'll support you whatever you decide to do. I like Western Governers the best. You're work experience on your resume is awesome! I think just having the degree is the important thing. Changing professions looks unlikely at this point. Good luck with your decision.