Friday, June 20, 2008

Strong Wood


Lisa gave me a really nice card, with this poem on it for Father's Day. I am trying to get back in the groove of posting again. It has been hard to do, because I don't feel like I ever really have anything interesting to say. This popped into my head and I felt like I should share it. Enjoy.


The tree that never had to fight
For sun and sky and air and light,
But stood out in the open plain
And always got its share of rain,
Never became a forest king
But lived and died a scrubby thing.

The man who never had to toil
To gain and farm his patch of soil,
Who never had to win his share
Of sun and sky and light and air,
Never became a manly man
But lived and died as he began.

Good timber does not grow with ease.
The stronger wind, the stronger trees.
The further sky, the greater length.
The more the storm, the more the strength.
By sun and cold, by rain and snow,
In trees and men good timbers grow.

Where thickest lies the forest growth
We find the patriarchs of both.
And they hold counsel with the stars,
Whose broken branches show the scars
Of many winds and much of strife.
This is the common law of life.

7 comments:

ls said...

that's a beautiful poem. lisa is pretty amazing. we love you guys.

Frazier Family said...

Lisa is good to you. I love the poem and it is so true. I'm glad you're going to try and post again. We love you. See you soon!

m said...

Thank you for sharing that poem. I needed it today. I'll probably come back and read it again and again. Sometimes its hard to remember that pain and trials are good for us. Its easier to focus on the pain.
EW

KB Morgan Fam said...

Okay Topher, this is going to seem very random . . . but I have been wanting to share this poem with my YW group for a while -- Unfortunately I have it only in German. I was actually checking a blog of a German friend of mine when through following a few links I happened upon yours! I recognized your name because I student taught your 7th grade English class at Indian Hills M.S. -- Mrs. Barnum's Class. You were a witty, intelligent kid then, and I can see from your blog that you've still got it! Thanks for the poem -- and good luck with life, and God bless!
Stephanie Morgan

Natalie Jensen said...

oh my gosh i cant believe i found you! not that was was totally lookign i am so not a stocker!!! i saw a alta 2000 and you were on it how the heck are you! anyways its me natalie kiser dude whats up! i am married 7 years two kids totally in the st george heat so good to see two familiar faces from the past my blog is blocked but if you want email me najgroup1@hotmail.com i'll let you in lisa you look great!

Noraahsein's Blog said...

Wow. Awesome poem. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT